Company Name: SmithBucklin
Location: Chicago, IL
Type: Full Time
SmithBucklin, the leading Association Management Company, is looking for a Meeting and Event Coordinator to join the Event Services team inChicago.
Our Event Services unit provides meeting, convention, event and trade show management worldwide through the expertise of our meeting professionals, who manage every facet and detail of our client organizations’ events. Our goal is to work closely with a client organization’s leaders to create an enjoyable conference experience for all attendees, exhibitors and sponsors, while ensuring a successful outcome based on the organizations’ event objectives.
What You Will Do
- Lead and contribute to the coordination of all aspects of client association conferences, meetings, trade shows and other events (pre-planning, onsite execution and post-event wrap-up)
- Perform site searches, provide recommendations to clients and negotiate hotel and convention center contracts
- Produce event specifications and manage vendors for all aspects of events (F&B, AV, GSC, temps, photography, transportation, security, etc.)
- Assist in financial management including budget creation, monitoring revenue/expense performance and collection of registration and/or exhibit fees
- Track hours performed vs. hours budgeted and advise of discrepancies
- Develop and maintain solid relationships with exhibitors/sponsors
- Contribute effective ideas to client strategic planning and analysis processes
- Assume planning responsibilities for multiple clients and meetings
This Role Might Be for You If…
- You have the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks conforming to shifting priorities, demands and timelines
- You possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- You demonstrate the ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously
- You demonstrate the ability to work directly with clients in a responsible, appropriate and service-oriented way
- You possess strong written and oral communication skills
- You exhibit strong interpersonal skills and a high degree of responsibility, initiative and professionalism
- You have the ability to adapt to crisis situations, changing procedures, methods or processes coordination, sponsorship fulfillment and project management
- You are able to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- You have the ability to lift 40 pounds
- You have the ability to travel up to 15%, possibly both domestic and international, and work overtime as needed (travel may include weekends)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution or equivalent experience
- 3-6 years of professional experience in the convention/tradeshow industry
- Demonstrated experience in event planning and execution, contract negotiation, and exhibit and tradeshow logistics and management
- Experience working for a company that provides professional business services, preferably in event management
- Proficiency with basic computer programming, including the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Where Do You Fit?
Whether you are just beginning your career or are a mid- or senior-level professional, working at SmithBucklin will offer you countless opportunities to develop transferrable skills, acquire meaningful knowledge and gain rich experiences at an accelerated pace. By working collaboratively with smart, ambitious, multi-talented, genuine and hardworking colleagues, you will build meaningful, deep and enduring relationships that will serve you well throughout your career, regardless of your chosen path. In addition, as a 100 percent employee-owned company, SmithBucklin offers all of our people – regardless of position or compensation – an equal chance to experience the fulfillment and reap the benefits of ownership. As owners, our employees control the destiny of SmithBucklin and are unified in the goal of building a great, enduring company.
Equal Employment Opportunity