Company Name: OKC ZOO
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Type: Full Time
Demonstrating excellent leadership, guest service, communication, organization and planning skills, and in collaboration with Zoo staff and the Zoo’s food and beverage contractor, the Events Manager will coordinate and facilitate visitor events. This includes visiting school groups, birthday parties, and catered / non-catered functions. The Events Manager will manage all other personnel in the Events Department and coordinate the event needs of the organization.
Essential Functions of the Position:
The Event Manager must be able to perform each of the essential functions listed. Other; non-essential functions, may be assigned.
- Generate revenue for the Zoo via successful event sales and execution.
- Coordinate, facilitate, and execute all internal OKC Zoo events and catered functions in conjunction with the Zoo’s food and beverage contractor in support of assigned objectives and the Zoo’s overall strategic plan.
- Take a lead role in fostering and maintaining a productive relationship between Event Department and other Zoo teams, to include the Zoo’s food and beverage contractor.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to align events with program offerings and to manage all event details to include schedule, early or late openings, facility shutdown for set-up, relevant response to weather and other external issues
- Coordinate details for event services including A/V, parking, technician services, theater, facility tours, space rental, admissions and other special services.
- Attend events and schedule event staff to ensure an Event Department presence at all events
- Work with all stakeholders to develop a yearly calendar of events to drive group attendance
- Meet directly with key support team weekly to review event calendars to ensure successful execution of all events
- Manage, maintain and update the OKC Zoo Master Calendar and internal event Function Sheet used to inform stakeholders about daily activities within the facility. Clearly and effectively communicate changes to stakeholders
- Document all event details (logistics, status, “to do”, etc.) of Zoo events
- Schedule monthly meetings with management team reviewing the final details of the events held in the prior month
- Generate weekly reports regarding event expense and revenue. Follow up on outstanding issues reflected in reports with clients or internal staff
- Process event purchase orders for vendor payment and submit appropriate paperwork.
- Track payments due and received
- Prepare final contracts, confirmation and invoice statements for all client services.
- Manage parking arrangements including vouchers, attendants, and schedules in support of events and Zoo departments.
- Coordinate other internal and external events and projects as assigned.
- Assist in developing and implementing new, creative events, increase revenue streams at existing events and increase guest experiences while at events.
- Maintain current industry and competitive landscape trends and regularly update department with noteworthy opportunities.
- Manage the hiring and performance management of subordinate team member(s).
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in Event Management or a field of study related to hospitality.
- At least three years of experience in a guest service or hospitality position.
- Proven leadership and ability to motivate other employees to provide excellent customer service.
- History of success in fast-paced working environments with diverse array of clients.
Other Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities Required:
- Ability to manage other employees and lead by example by working efficiently and effectively to provide the highest level of customer service.
- Ability to manage a project management system, and manage data in order to provide efficient service and a high degree of customer satisfaction.
- Ability to read and interpret publications such as safety guidelines, operating and procedural manuals, general business periodicals, professional journals, and government publications.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively to clients, guests and fellow employees.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customer and the general public.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to perform with limited supervision and demonstrate initiative.
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Ability to deliver exceptional customer service to all Zoo guests.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule during all operating hours and to demonstrate a superior work ethic and to manage and prioritize time effectively.
- Ability to adapt and eagerness to gain new skills relevant to excellent job performance.
- Candidate should thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Clean and neat appearance and ability to engage with guests in a respectful and thoughtful manner.
- Manages subordinate Event/Sales team members
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the workday.
- Required on occasion to exert physical effort in handing objects up to 50 pounds. Also required to stand for extended periods of time (up to 4 hours).
- Required on occasion to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements.
- Normal setting for this job is office/banquet hall/ zoo setting.