Company Name: Cornerstone Research
Location: New York, NY (Hybrid)
Type: Full Time
The Events Manager is an established events professional who thinks strategically, draws upon their vast experience to resolve day-to-day challenges, adapts quickly to changing priorities, and serves as a mentor to other event planners on the team. The Events Manager will be responsible for the design, development, planning, and execution of a variety of high-end Cornerstone Research events and corporate meetings. Events may include client receptions and dinners, educational seminars, expert forums, Officer Meetings, multi-day executive retreats, industry sponsorship events, law firm events, and other events as identified. The ideal candidate will also have a wealth of knowledge and experience in planning and executing virtual social events and thought leadership webinars. This individual will provide event support for the firm’s business development initiatives.
How You’ll Help Us Be Successful
- Serve as the lead project manager for events from initial creative design and pre-planning stages through on-site execution.
- Negotiate all required contracts with venues and vendors to secure favorable rates, terms, concessions, and ensure meeting and budgetary objectives are met.
- Work closely with department head and legal counsel to ensure the firm is contractually and financially protected in all agreements.
- Provide logistics management for events including (but not limited to):
- Define and manage detailed processes for events (e.g. timelines, venues, suppliers, onsite and offsite activities, etc.)
- Oversee and manage communication with all stakeholders to ensure the successful planning and execution of events
- Venue selection and vendor sourcing management
- Event attendance/invitations and registration/RSVPs.
- On-site event management and logistics (e.g. transportation, food, equipment, etc.)
- Coordinate speakers, off-site activities, giveaways, shipping, print production, event promotion/branding and CLE (Continuing Legal Education) credits
- Event space allocation and room set-ups
- Budget management
- Provide creative and impactful solutions to event logistics process
- Conduct site visits and site inspections of potential event properties, as needed.
- Provide support to others on the events team as needed.
- Research, conduct RFPs, and recommend appropriate venues for events, including hotels and resorts, restaurants, bar/lounges, and special event spaces.
- Assist events team with venue pitches; assisting in the preparation of PowerPoint presentations and/or cost-comparison spreadsheets of venue recommendations.
- Work closely with head chefs, wine sommeliers, and other restaurant staff to design exceptional attendee experiences for high-end client receptions and dinners, including restaurant buyouts and use of private dining rooms, menu selection with wine pairings, room set-up, floral arrangements, seating assignments, and attendee gifts.
- Develop and manage event budgets, track expenses during planning process, review and process vendor invoices and wire transfers, and conduct post-event budget reconciliation.
- Maintain a detailed electronic filing system for all events.
- Establish and cultivate strong relationships with hotels, restaurants, and other third party providers. Keep abreast of new restaurant openings as well as changes in restaurant ratings or head chefs.
- Support the department head in developing ways to streamline the event planning process, standardize budget tracking and control expenses, leverage event technology, enhance recordkeeping, analyze event success, and improve attendee experience.
- Identify and incorporate industry best practices into our planning process in an effort to continuously improve our productivity and effectiveness.
- Onboard new events team members and contractors
What You’ll Need to Be Successful
- Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of experience in relevant meetings and events management
- Professional services firm or financial services experience is a plus
- Experience working with domestic venues, international experience is a plus
- Expertise in negotiation and hotel/restaurant contracting
- Expertise in food, wine, travel, and hospitality services
- Extensive experience in planning high-end dinners at top restaurants with a strong knowledge leading restaurants, chefs and sommeliers
- A strong relationship with hotel industry and experience with conferences
- A demonstrated ability to make recommendations and influence senior executives and decision makers
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation is a plus.
- An active participant/networker in the event management industry. A member of MPI or other associations for event professionals is desirable. Access to a network of industry resources
- Advances skills in MS Office required
- Budgeting/cost tracking experience required
- InterAction or other CRM experience required
What Will Differentiate You
- Leadership: the desire to take initiative and actively contribute to the team and firm
- Communication: the ability to communicate effectively and professionally
- Business Acumen: the capability to learn the firm’s financial and operational functions
- Client Service: the mindset to provide superior service
Equal Employment Opportunity
Cornerstone Research is an equal employee opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by law.