Company Name: Space Telescope Science Institute
Location: Baltimore, MD
Type: Full Time
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science and flight operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland. Learn more about our missions. The Space Telescope Science Institute seeks an Events Coordinator (#0007503) to support our weekly colloquium series and monthly Astrobiology Lecture series. You will manage all logistics for the weekly series including colloquium speaker travel reimbursement, contracts, catering, hotel room reservations, advertising/publicity, AV support and more.
You will also provide administrative support to the Event Planning Group of the Science Mission Office as needed. This is a great opportunity for an organized individual with previous event planning experience to join STScI, recognized by Baltimore Magazine as one of the “Hall of Fame – Best Places to Work”.
Administrative support in various areas, including meeting and seminar coordination, travel coordination, procurement, data management, problem resolution, electronic circulation and electronic filing of documentation, coordination of calendars and meeting requests. Additionally, day-to-day tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Be a key point of contact for colloquium speakers:
- Sending colloquium information to speakers
- Collating speaker presentations and related materials
- Managing speaker responses – updating the database and agendas and answering any queries they may have
- Timely responses to inquiries from speakers and other external/internal partners
- Manage all colloquium materials, including speaker databases, pre-event communications, speaker biographies, speaker materials and post-event communications
- Communicate with internal and external partners; manage contracts, and travel arrangements
Your Skills Should Include:
- Previous event planning experience
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Proven tracking system/strategy for managing, completing and following up on tasks
- Creative, customer-focused focused communication and service
- Team-player who thinks like a leader
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing your workload, with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to evaluate and improve processes and develop creative solutions within the team
- Proactively manage tasks and arrange event planning for various Institute wide events, with focused attention on the weekly colloquium series and monthly lecture series
- Support “in-person” events and be a key part of the onsite team as needed, and help manage virtual and hybrid events
- High school graduate or equivalent, 7+ years of administrative and/or conference/event support experience. Some event planning experience required.
- Intermediate to expert skills in Outlook and Microsoft Office, with specific attention to Excel
Compensation is commensurate with education and experience. Our excellent benefits include:
- 12 days of vacation accrued annually, 10 paid holidays, and 12 days of sick leave each
- Employer retirement contribution – direct STScI contribution of 10% of your salary from your first day
- Comprehensive medical/dental/vision/prescription plans, and more!
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below, as well as the requests for self-identification, are required under these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements for protection and assisting us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.