Company Name: Gannett
Location: Chicago, IL (Hybrid)
Type: Full Time
The Event Operations Manager should have experience in event development and enhancing the participant experience to continue driving VE towards it mission to produce world-class events that engage, empower, and celebrate every participant. VE produces world class events with a hometown feel – ensuring that our event is a community staple while also providing an unparalleled participant experience.
The Event Operations Manager will be responsible for event and market development while also adhering to the event budget. To achieve the VE mission as well as financial goals, the Event Operations Manager will need to work with key departments within the organization including sales, event operations, and marketing.
Competitive applicants will have experience working live athletic events as well as prior experience cultivating an event to be a community partner. The role reports directly to the Director of Event Production .
Ventures Endurance Core Values
- Communicate Collaboratively
- Act with Authenticity
- Embrace Inclusivity
- Celebrate Achievements
- Exceed Expectations
- Nurture Passion
- Live with a Growth Mindset
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
- Managing race related event logistics, negotiations, and budgets for specific events from the contract negotiation and venue procurement to post event close out.
- Working to secure and document all necessary permits, event timelines, public safety plans, event design, and parking plans required in the planning and execution of the event.
- Establishing the vision for existing events in conjunction with the VE marketing and operations teams, along with Senior Leadership.
- Oversee grass-roots marketing execution in conjunction with the marketing team.
- Developing processes that contribute to the financial goals of the organization.
- Working with various department heads to meet deadlines and event and company goals, driving continuing efficiency and communication between departments.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with third parties, public agencies and municipalities, state and Federal governments to coordinate the production of events.
- Overseeing event course and site layout development.
- Preparing and/or providing appropriate information, documents and maps of areas of responsibility for permit submission to all government entities, private parties, and contractors.
- Conducting vendor and contractor outreach, quote analysis and negotiation in coordination with the Operations team, and ensuring timely and accurate payment/tracking of vendors.
- Communicating with the Operations team to identify outstanding action items needed to produce the event and coordinating the successful execution of those items.
- Collaborating with Volunteer, Customer Service and Marketing departments to ensure all event participants are provided with accurate messaging pre, during and post event.
- Other duties as assigned (which may include assisting with other events in the VE portfolio)
- Travel obligations ~50% throughout the year.
- Must exemplify all 7 core values outlined above
- 3 + years race and brand management experience
- Experience working and permitting events in the Chicagoland area is preferred, but not required
- Strong analytic skills (financial, planning, operational)
- Proven attention to detail with ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Ability to hold oneself accountable and an aptitude for prioritizing multiple projects
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical mindset and approach to managing projects and problem solving
- Ability to forge interdepartmental relationships and build a strong team atmosphere
- Technical course development skills
- Experience/work knowledge in the running community/space (niche markets) with the ability to critically review and further develop the community aspects of our events through relationships and partnerships.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.