Company Name: Visa
Location: Foster City, CA
Type: Full Time
Visa is looking for a Director of External Events to lead the event strategy and execution for external Visa events, including but not limited to third-party trade shows and client councils and supports execution of key Visa customer events.The role requires a customer-centric focus and a strategic mindset as well as strong engagement and influencing skills working across the organization with senior level stakeholders. The role is responsible for managing two direct reports and is based in Visa’s Foster City or San Francisco office, reporting to the VP of Corporate Events.
- Lead program management and development of Visa’s flagship event engagement programs ensuring they align with strategic objectives – directing all aspects of the event life cycle including project management, site selection, contracting, budgeting, attendee management, logistics, vendor management, integration of innovation and technology, program implementation, onsite management and post event reconciliation.
- Consult business planning functions to formulate event strategies that align to Visa’s strategic priorities and calendar
- Develop, maintain, and promote a centralized repository of guidelines and best practices, acting as an event planning Center of Excellence for staff who are self-managing events hereby ensuring consistency in approach and execution. The role will act as a professional event planning consultant offering guidance, creative solutions and assistance to various Visa departments on all aspects of events management.
- Measure and track event success against centralized KPIs to evaluate the impact of events to guide future decision-making
- Align corporate annual goals and track quarterly progress of goal milestones
- Manage two direct reports and resource planning for priority events
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office 2-3 set days a week (determined by leadership/site) which are currently Tuesdays, Wednesdays and every other Thursday, with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% or more of the time based on business needs.
- 10 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/ MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- Experience: 10 years’ experience in event program management, operations and strategy
Successful Candidate Qualities
- Demonstrated exceptional project management, organization and planning skills applied in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment
- Must possess a passion for events and in-depth understanding of how events engagement bolsters brand, drives regional and global business strategy, supports business objectives, and aligns with the overall marketing and communications strategy of a global organization
- Creative approach to development of event concepts – think outside the box – with a desire to constantly innovate and improve all event aspects
- Excellent communication, negotiation and relationship management skills, particularly with senior executive level stakeholders
- Willing to challenge the status quo and look at things from a different angle
- Proactively bring forward new ideas and look for innovative solutions that help simplify processes
- Experience in effectively managing resources and modeling leadership behaviors
- Self-directed personality that takes a proactive, hands-on role in problem solving, decision-making, creating new procedures and innovating new ways to enhance existing processes
- Strong customer orientation. Look to deliver impactful and beneficial meetings for clients and attendees with a focus on quality
- Driven, self-starter with an ability to prioritize projects in a deadline driven environment
- Must be able to facilitate domestic and international meeting programs, as required. Job requires 15-20 percent overnight travel and from time-to-time overtime and weekend work
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.