Company Name: JPL
Location: Harrisburg, PA (Hybrid)
Type: Full Time
Based in Harrisburg, PA, the Director, Meetings and Events is an experienced professional who leads a team, including event strategists, producers and technical managers. The director is responsible for securing, retaining, and expanding meetings and events business while advocating for best practices that enable the team to do their best work. The ideal candidate has experience in managing complex client organizations and achieving business results. The director leads by example, exudes innovative thinking and problem-solving skills, and is responsible for all aspects of event performance. This position reports to the President and collaborates with various teams to grow client relationships. The Director is responsible for managing day-to-day operations and leading a team of professionals, assigning events, and ensuring team productivity and profitability. The successful candidate is an empathetic mentor and invested in developing team members to achieve their potential.
- Lead by example. Be “hands on” in managing and interacting with our meetings & events clients. Set the team standard for client experience, quality of service and on-time, on-budget and on-strategy execution of meetings & events. Bring a logical, collaborative, caring management style. Be accessible and inspire team members through knowledge and experience and a passion to produce outstanding work – and a great client experience. Reward team members as they grow, develop and achieve success. Inspire the team to stay on top of trends in the meetings & events industry.
- Retain existing event clients and grow their level of investment with the agency. Create an entrepreneurial mindset within the meetings & events team. Empower team members to have ownership and accountability for understanding the client’s business and bringing engaging, creative ideas to clients proactively. Play a leadership role in new business development initiatives, assessing the prospect’s needs, forming the right account team and presenting the solution to prospective clients.
- Manage department and project plans and budgets with precision. Mentor staff on best-practice project management methodology. Define KPI’s and set clear expectations. Ensure project budgets are managed and communicated proactively internally, and with clients.
- Develop strong internal partnerships. Collaborate with other leaders to achieve excellence in the work and streamline processes.
- Evaluate staffing needs and develop business cases to justify staff additions. Write position descriptions, participate in the recruitment process, interview, evaluate candidates, and form hiring recommendations grounded in sound strategy and business rationale.
- Degree in marketing, communications, event management, event planning or related fields of study.
- 8+ years of experience in meetings & events with a focus on serving large event clients.
- 3+ experience in a leadership/supervisory capacity.
- Must have a proven track record of success leading and growing client relationships as well as internal teams.
- Experience working with all aspects of meetings & events (from strategy and planning to technical event production and day of execution).
- Experience translating clients’ business goals into communications objectives.
- Experience managing and leading multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Strong, strategic client-service and “client experience” orientation with the ability to form long-term relationships with clients and internal colleagues.
- Experience managing line-of-business financials, including forecasting, monthly project and billable tracking and reporting.
- A motivational, empathetic leader and mentor, skilled in developing team members and inspiring them to deliver top performance within a defined vision.
- Strong analytical, writing, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent collaboration and negotiation skills and the ability to bring together different points of view to achieve consensus.
- Outstanding communications skills – written, verbal, presentations, listening, and interpersonal – with the ability to connect internally and externally with staff at all levels.
- Must be available for travel when necessary.